For Jimmy Buffett fans, you know the song, but if you need a refresher, then it is Volcano.
The Mount Gay Rum Lounge and Tasting is open tonight and tomorrow from 5-7:30 pm at the Event headquarters. The Mount Gay Rum team will be on hand to help guests explore the origins of Mount Gay Rum, what makes it special, and the importance of its connection with the sailing community.
On Wednesday, Mount Gay Rum Day, guests in the Lounge will have the opportunity to sample Mount Gay Eclipse and Black Barrel Rum Punches.
An added note for Jimmy Buffett fans – word on the street is JB may be in town laying down some tracks at the “shrimp boat.” One of our RC folks were in Schooner Wharf the other night, and he nearly fell off his bar stool when he looked across the bar and saw George Strait having a beverage and enjoying one of the best watering holes in town! Just saying’…
On Sunday afternoon, prior to the Skippers Meeting, plenty of people mingled on Caroline Street to check-in with the stars of American Football to watch the NFC Championship game.
At Kelly’s Caribbean Courtyard, Ed Baird, winner of the 2014 52 Super Series and 2007 America’s Cup helmsman moderated an All-Star panel to discuss winning strategies at Key West. The combined panel has a long list of accomplishments.
L-R Taylor Canfield, Terry Hutchinson, Jonathan McKee, Nick Turney, Jud Smith and Scott Nixon
- Terry Hutchinson – Recipient of US Sailing’s 2014 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year Award and tactician onboard the J/V 72 Mini Maxi Bella Mente.
- Olympic Gold and Bronze medal winner and 3-time Melges 24 world champion tactician, Jonathan McKee, calling tactics for Greg Slyngstad onboard the J/125 Hamachi.
- Taylor Canfield – 2013 ISAF Match Racing World Champion – one of the youngest sailors ever to claim this title. Tactician for Bob Hughes J/70 Heartbreaker.
- Jud Smith, a multi-class One Design champ that includes winning the Etchells 22 North American Champion six times. Racing his J/70 Africa with family.
- Nick Turney, Quantum One Design sailmaker and 2014 J24 World and National Champion, tactician onboard Rob Ruhlman’s J/111 Spaceman Spiff
- Scott Nixon of Quantum Sails One Design and tactician onboard George Gamble’s J/111 My Sharona
Topics ranged from reading weather and current to tested, tried and true methods for race preparation. The standing-room-only crowd was more interested in the little details, and how they can add up to determine winning over placing in Key West. Here’s a collection of good advice and quotable quotes. The full panel discussion is available at the Premiere Racing Event page. Continue reading